HSLB Volunteer Services Program
You can be a part of the past, the present and the future by volunteering at the Historical Society of Long Beach. Volunteers will learn about Long Beach history, serve our visitors in many valuable ways, and have fun participating in our events. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Special Events Staffer – Greet visitors to the gallery and sell books at a “First Friday” cultural walk. Volunteers are need on the first Friday of every month to help staff the gallery during Bixby Knolls First Friday Art and Culture Walks from 6:30-9:30pm. Perhaps donate food or beverages, or help set up or clean up for a special history program. Talk to like-minded folks about Long Beach history and how they can contribute to the HSLB at an exhibition opening. Lots of volunteer possibilities for every type of special event!
- Cataloger/Researcher/Gallery Worker – Love Long Beach history and enjoy treasure hunts? Learn to catalog donations to the HSLB archives in our PastPerfect database, and how to properly preserve those donations. Or perhaps use PastPerfect to locate that perfect Pike photo for a gallery visitor to purchase. Or do you love Long Beach history AND books? Become knowledgeable about our collection and assist visitors with their book purchases.
- Fundraiser – Assist the Fundraising Committee on an “as needed” basis. May include asking friends to become supporters of the HSLB, helping to identify other potential supporters, or asking local merchants to sponsor a history program or exhibit.
- Jack or Jill of All Trades – Handy with a level? We may call on you to help hang exhibits in the gallery. Graphic designer or artist between jobs? Perhaps help design an upcoming program brochure, draft a publicity poster, or produce notecards to sell in the gallery. Photographer? Help record special events for the HSLB.
- “Go To” Volunteer — Willing to roll up your sleeves and help with whatever needs doing? Come help with a bulk mailing, or maybe participate in a work day when we clean out the archives.
To find out about our current volunteer opportunities, please email your questions to Acacia Audell, Program Coordinator. You may also complete and submit the attached Volunteer Application. Mail it to: HSLB, 4260 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, CA 90807, or scan and it attach it to your email to Brandon Werts.
Whether you have a few hours or a few days a month to give, we would love to have you join our volunteer team!