On December 7, 1941, the bombing of Pearl Harbor shocked the nation and propelled the United States into World War II.
Long Beach was a strategic stronghold as a major staging area for the Pacific conflict. The war touched everyone who lived here. Many of the ships in Hawaii on that fateful day spent months in Long Beach before the bombing. Officers and enlisted men on the ships left families and friends in Long Beach. The event not only transformed the war in the Pacific, it transformed the lives of Long Beach residents and the city’s economy and infrastructure. The bombing of Pearl Harbor was the catalyst for airport, harbor, and industrial development, and laid the groundwork for the Long Beach that we know today.
Seventy-five years later, on December 7, 2016, the Historical Society of Long Beach (HSLB) presented an exhibition entitled Long Beach Remembers Pearl Harbor. Using photos, newspapers, items from its collection and others collected from the community, it commemorated this important anniversary of the event that torpedoed the United States into the Second World War.
Points of Interest:
Click here for Points of Interest detail.
• August 26, 2017 — Pearl Harbor Speaker Series: World War II Brings Social Change to Long Beach
• May 27, 2017 — Pearl Harbor Speaker Series: 1942: The Turning Point in the Pacific
• March 30, 2017 — On the Line with Rosie: Our Long Beach Stories
• March 25, 2017 — From Citizen to Suspect: Long Beach & Terminal Island Stories
• December 7, 2016 — Long Beach Remembers Pearl Harbor – Exhibit Opening
• December 7, 2016 — “Lest We Forget December 7, 1941” Memorial Service at Long Beach City Hall
• May 19, 2016 — Long Beach’s Pearl Harbor Families: An Evening of Remembrance
• December 7, 2014 — Long Beach & WWII Sharing Day
• Press-Telegram, Nov. 27, 2016 — Long Beach to commemorate 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor bombing
• Press-Telegram, Dec. 6, 2016 — Pearl Harbor Day remembrance events planned
• Press-Telegram, Dec. 7, 2016 — Long Beach leaders, veterans honor sacrifice of those died at Pearl Harbor 75 years ago
• Gazettes, Dec. 2, 2016 — ANOTHER VIEW: Pearl Harbor’s 75th Remembered In, Tied To Long Beach (by HSLB Board Member Dr. Craig Hendricks)
• Gazettes, Dec. 5, 2016 — Long Beach To Remember 75th Anniversary Of Attack On Pearl Harbor
• Signal Tribune, Dec. 1, 2016 — ‘An event that changed history’ – HSLB to host exhibition recognizing 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor attack
• LBPost.com, Nov. 29. 2016 — Long Beach Remembers Pearl Harbor on 75th Anniversary with New Exhibit
• Long Beach Business Journal, Nov. 7, 2016 — Marking The 75th Anniversary Of The Attack On Pearl Harbor
• KTLA 5 TV, Dec. 7, 2016 — Pearl Harbor Day – Long Beach Connection (video)
Your sponsorship makes exhibitions like this one possible — please join us as a sponsor today.
See below for Sponsorship Level details. Sponsorships may be purchased online or by check.
(payment by credit card or paypal)
Click Here for a Printable Form
To pay by check please fill out the form and send to:
Historical Society of Long Beach
4260 Atlantic Avenue
Long Beach, California 90807