Daugherty wingwalkers, 1920s
$18.00 – $250.00
Background Information on Image Subject
From the Long Beach Airport’s Timeline:
- During the early 1920s, the only airport in Long Beach was the City’s huge, crescent shaped beach. Earl Daugherty opened a flight training school for bi-wings aircraft near Long Beach Blvd. and Willow Ave.
- In 1923, the Long Beach City Council set aside 150 acres near the intersection of Spring and Cherry Streets for use as an airfield. It was named Daugherty Field after one of Long Beach’s pioneer aviators. It was the first municipal airport to serve Southern California.
- April 7, 1925 – The first airport operator’s lease was issued.
- 1928-30 – Actual airport development of significance began when the City built hangars and administrative facilities for the Navy and Army Corps.
- 1933 – The first known, overall plan for the airport was…
The HSLB retains copyright to its photographic material.
The HSLB’s historical photographs and images are to be used for research or personal use only (for example, home decor or personal collections). Reproductions of any kind are prohibited, including distribution via the internet. Any use other than personal use, including in a business or for commercial purposes, or any alteration, constitutes reuse and requires payment of appropriate fees and approval by the Historical Society of Long Beach. For further information on commercial usage, please contact us directly at (562) 424-2220.
The maximum online order quantity is eight. Call HSLB for larger quantity orders or additional sizes. Please allow up to three weeks for processing and delivery, depending on your shipping address. For international shipping, please call us for further information.